The Faculty of Arts and Scoial Sciences was established in 1992 and is the oldest faculty at the Open University of Tanzania. The Faculty offers Certificates, Diplomas, Degrees and Postgraduate courses through Open and Distance Learning.
The faculty is comprised of the following departments.
1. Department of History, Philosophy and Religious Studies (HPRS)
2. Department of Political Science and Public Administration (PSPA)
3. Department of Geography (GEOG)
4. Department of Linguistics and Literary Studies (LLS)
5. Department of Journalism and Media Studies (JMS)
6. Department of Tourism and Hospitality (T&H)
7. Department of Sociology and Social Work (SOSW)
8. Center for Economics and Community Economic Development (CECED) which hosts two departments:
a. Department of Economics (ECON)
b. Department of Community Economic Development (CED)
The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences embraces the teaching, research, creative activities and service objectives of the Open University of Tanzania. Thus FASS is committed to: providing its students with affordable high quality education in an atmosphere that promotes intellectual vigor, critical inquiry, citizenship and creative decision-making requisites for personal growth and professional success; encouraging exemplary scholarship of teaching, research and service leading to significant publications and performances; and transforming lives by creating and promoting opportunities for lifelong and flexible learning in order to match up with evolving local and global challenges.
The aim of FASS is at creating and disseminating knowledge through teaching, learning, research and professional practice. It is committed to helping students achieve the highest academic standards. The faculty is dedicated to the fundamental principle that the role of higher education is to develop and nurture a creative, civil and life-sustaining society. Hence, its programmes promote civic engagement, examine our world and envision future possibilities.