Bachelor of Science in Energy Resources (BSc ER)
Bachelor of Science (Energy Resources) is designed to prepare students for their professional work in Physics in industry, energy sector and physical environment. The Programme contributes to the Faculty’s aim of training Scientists in Energy resources. It also contributes to the University’s aim to produce Scientists and Technologists in the energy sector.
The programme will provide knowledge and understanding of the physical aspects of nature in relation to dynamics and energy relationships and its dynamics with Mathematics to model the processes as well as practical experience in Energy Resources. The programme will also train students in problem solving and entrepreneurship in the related field.
After completing this programme the student should be able to work as a technologist in industry, do research in Energy Resources and related disciplines.
This programme is Scientific and has a practical component.
Educational Aims of the Programme
The Educational aim of the programme is to enable graduates to understand the application of Physics at the higher level.
The Programme is intended to achieve the following objectives:
- Build a positive community attitude towards the study of Physics
- Enable individuals to think critically and analytically
- Enable graduates to use Physics in their professions such energy, environment, engineering, meteorology, agriculture and industry
- Help individuals to develop problem solving skills and creativity
- Promote the spirit of entrepreneurship
- Applicants who hold Certificate of Secondary Education Examination (C.S.E.E.) or East African Certificate of Education (Ordinary Level) or equivalent, with passes in FIVE approved subjects, one of which is Physics obtained prior to the sitting of the Advanced Certificate of Secondary Education Examination (A.C.S.E.E.) or equivalent, AND One of the following combinations of passes in Advanced Certificate of Secondary Education Examination (A.C.S.E.E.) or equivalent: Either Two principal Level passes (in appropriate subjects) Or An appropriate equivalent Diploma/Certificate approved by the Senate of the Open University of Tanzania.
- Applicants with degree in an area related to Physics.
- Applicants who do not qualify under the first two options may register for Foundation Courses (OFC) offered by The Open University of Tanzania. Those who pass examinations set at the end of the course will be eligible for registration for this degree programme, if they have passed Physics and Mathematics.