Diploma In Primary Teacher Education(DPTE)
The overall aim of the programme is to provide student-teachers with the tools of primary school teaching and learning process in the world sustainable educational development; enable them to have a commitment to quality, timeliness and continuous improvement; to be able to communicate effectively and function effectively individually or in teams and to attain necessary qualifications to progress academically in teaching profession.
The specific objectives of the programme are:
- To train and/or upgrade academic qualifications of primary school teachers to a Diploma level.
- To improve teaching skills, strategies and methodologies for effective teaching at primary schools.
- To build capacity of teachers to teach Mathematics and English Language at primary schools.
- To enhance communication skills and abilities of teachers during teaching and learning process at primary schools.
- To build the teacher capacity to integrate ICT in teaching and learning process at primary school level.
Candidates admitted into the programme are IN-SERVICE Teachers with the following qualifications:
- Grade A Teaching Certificate or Basic Certificate in Teaching with an average pass of B and above, with not less than 4 passes at O’ Level Secondary Education or an Advanced Level Certificate with at least one principal pass Or three subsidiaries
The programme comprises of 23 courses; 11 in Level I and 12 in Level II. The Courses are divided into three streams; the Language, Arts and Science streams.
Communication and Study Skills
Introduction to Special Needs Education
Introduction to ICT
School Administration and Management
Introduction to Educational Foundations
Introduction to Research In Education
Introduction to Educational Psychology
Primary Education Curriculum Dev. & Innovations
General Teaching Methods and Strategies
Numeracy Teaching Methods and Strategies
Vocational Skills Teaching Methods and Strategies
Micro Teaching II
Literacy Teaching Methods and Strategies
Social Stud Teaching Methods and Strategies
Science Teaching Methods and Strategies
Level I : Theoretical Courses (13 Units x 40,000)
Practical Course (1 Unit x 100,000)
Level II : Theoretical Courses (8 Units x 40,000)
Practical Course (2 Units x 100,000)
Examination Fees (17 Courses x 10,000)
Students Organization Fees
Student Identity Card
Quality Assurance Fee
Mr. Innocent Messo
The Programme is targeted for a candidate who will advance academically through acquiring a detailed theoretical and practical knowledge in his/her area of specialization and attain professional competences in primary school teaching procedures and practices required of a primary school teacher.
Assessment will be organized around Continuous Assessment (CA) one Main Timed Test (MTT) which will count 30% of the total marks of the course and a Final Examination (70%).